Medical/Community Interpreter Program (MIP)
The Connecticut AHEC Medical Interpreter Certificate In Health and Community Settings (IHCS) is taught by instructors who represent Latin American and Middle Eastern countries. Their qualifications include advanced degrees, experience as trained medical interpreters, and a personal dedication to increase access to health care. Our instructors have been trained and certified as medical interpreters and as instructors by the Northern Virginia Area Health Education Center.
This curriculum establishes the basic foundation for all healthcare and community interpreters and provides specialized training in health care interpretation. In addition to expertise in the code of ethics and the modes and techniques of community interpreting, a health care interpreter must understand health care as a cultural system and master the most common medical concepts, procedures and terminology.
MIP’s Connecticut AHEC Medical & Community Interpreter Program Certificate entails 48-hours of highly interactive practice sessions and role-plays. Each course accommodates up to 15 participants. The core components of course includes:
- Interpreting techniques, Modes of Interpreting, Guiding the Encounter, and memory skills
- Health care in cultural perspective
- Structure and principles of U.S. health care
- Biomedical practitioners, methods of diagnosis and medical terminology
- The human body
- Medical Interpreter Code of Ethics
- Basic interpreting techniques and ability to justify the technique selected according to particular situations.
- Knowledge of medical terms and concepts relevant to clinical and non-clinical encounters
Skills and ethics of interpreting.
- Effective communication between health care consumers and clinical providers that comply with federal guidelines.
- Attends 40 hours of class, 8 hours of homework material.
- Pass both mid-term and final exams with a score of 85% or more.
- 18 years of age.
- A high school diploma or equivalent.
- Language Proficiency Assessment (LPA) of 80% or more.